- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 1.1% ($350.2m) from March 2021 to April 2021.
- In seasonally adjusted terms, Australian turnover rose 25.1% in April 2021 compared with April 2020.
- The rise of 1.1% in April 2021 follows a rise in March 2021 of 1.3%.
- The rises were led by Food retailing (1.5%), following falls in February and March 2021.
- Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (2.5%) also rose, with New South Wales especially strong.
- By state, New South Wales and Victoria saw rises of 2%, with turnover rising in all industries except for Department stores.
- Through-the-year sales rose 25.1% in April 2021 compared to April 2020, following a 2.2% annual rise in March 2021. This change reflects COVID-19 restrictions in April 2020, which led to a large fall in retail turnover that month.